Have you sustained a cracked or chipped tooth due to a bad fall? Have your teeth been worn out severely, so much so that they are down to their stumps? Or, do you feel too conscious of your smile’s appearance due to large gaps between your teeth? In such cases, veneers will be the best and simplest restorations that you could benefit from.
What are veneers?
Veneers are restorations made from dental-grade ceramic that is tooth-colored. They are wafer-thin and bonded to the frontal surface of the teeth. Veneers usually serve cosmetic dental purposes. However, they also restore the teeth to their ideal strength and structure by covering the surface imperfections.
What is the procedure involved?
The dentist will conduct the initial diagnosis during the first appointment. X-rays and scans will be taken to get a better view of the teeth and determine the severity of the oral condition. A thin layer of enamel will be removed from the tooth receiving the restoration to make space for the veneer. A hand-held digital scanning device will be used to scan the teeth and create a digital impression. It will be sent to a dental laboratory where they fabricate veneers.
During the next appointment, the dentist will thoroughly clean the teeth and remove any tartar deposits adhered to them. An etching solution is used for roughening the teeth before bonding the veneer. Photosensitive dental adhesives are used for the bonding procedure, which will be hardened using a suitable curing light. The veneer will be polished, and the dentist conducts your bite test.
Why choose veneers?
- Veneers are long-lasting. With optimum care and regular dental consultations, veneers last for several years.
- Dental-grade ceramic is stain-resistant. However, keep the consumption of colored foods and beverages to a minimum to keep the veneers looking as good as new for longer.
- Veneers are highly versatile restorations. They are used for different types of dental procedures.
- The procedure for bonding veneers is quite a simple one. Sometimes, it can be completed in a single day using CEREC.
- Veneers can be customized to a great extent to make them look exactly like natural teeth. Even upon taking a closer look, it is almost impossible to distinguish a veneer from a natural tooth.
To know more about porcelain veneers, please schedule an online appointment with our dentists or call us at (650) 780-9429, and we will be happy to help. We also serve areas of Redwood City, Menlo Park, Atherton, and Foster City.