Updated: Apr 10
If the tooth is extremely sensitive to cold/ hot, antibiotics may not help. The decay must be removed and filled.
These home measures may help with making symptoms manageable until care can be accessed.
1) Cleaning well with Fluoride toothpaste and reducing sugar intake will help stop decay from getting any worse.
2) If there is a hole in tooth/teeth or a tooth has cracked and is now sensitive/ sharp pain, a temporary filling can be packed into the space, which are widely available in supermarkets.
3) Desensitizing toothpaste- Rub toothpaste in affected area and do not rinse it after for 30 minutes atleast.
4) Anesthetic gel such as Orajel can also help with gum pain.
5) Stay away from the following:
Foods and beverages that are very cold or very hot: Since the dentin layer of the tooth (the tissue that lies underneath the outer enamel layer and surrounds the pulp) has likely been exposed by the crack or break in the tooth, extremes in temperature may cause pain.
Foods and beverages that are very high in sugar or are very acidic, as they may irritate the nerve in the tooth
If nothing helps please call your dentist.